Blog Post 2 – Amsterdam

I was lucky with the people I was grouped with compared to other groups. I enjoyed working with them as I learned about their perspectives and was able to compare American design and ideas to Netherlands design and ideas. Hearing each others’ suggestions and creating a way to combine various components worked well. Coordinating with the groupchat and in-person people was difficult as response times were slower and intonations/connotations weren’t picked up on when sharing ideas. Outside of the class, they were kind enough to show us around the city which I enjoyed and will cherish those memories as well. 

Understanding the problem space is key before brainstorming any solutions. This way, we are not forcing ourselves into a certain type of solution and can think of other possible designs through idea dumping, HMWs, etc. The problem space can be understood through interviews and trend analysis. Iterative design is something I enjoy since improving and optimizing designs are key. However, it is important to set a number of times or time period when doing this to prevent staying at one stage for too long (since designs can always be iterated). Finally, synthesizing ideas with post-it notes makes breaking down ideas much easier as each idea is visually represented and can be moved according to the most feasible and impactful graph. 

During the design challenge in Amsterdam, I would not have considered the importance of going to the office or a shared space. This is because in the Netherlands, it is very common to take public transportation, which requires walking, or biking to work. However, in the United States, most people drive to work so there is less movement happening and therefore going to a space or the office is less impactful for physical activity for remote workers in the Netherlands than in the United States. 

Typically, the solution space is more natural to me. I usually immediately think of solutions once a problem is presented to me I break down the problem quickly and try to brainstorm a solution. I think that as we grow up, we learn to problem-solve with a focus on solutions. However, after this program, I have learned the importance of staying in the problem space and analyzing it further to create the most optimal solution. 

The UvA students were more laid back, of course, but they were more outspoken when collaborating compared to the Avans students. Working in groups at Rice was similar to the UvA students since some would do more than others. Connecting with students from both of the schools helped me understand the Netherlands education system better as the two schools are in different categories. I grew a lot closer to the UvA students since we had more time with them and they were luckily very welcoming so that we spent time together outside of classes. I did not have this opportunity with the Avans students, but eating lunch with them and having the “closing ceremony” was nice as we talked about things outside of the class and more about the local culture. I also connected with the UvA students through LinkedIn and Instagram so I hope to connect with them again in the future!

The highlight of Adventures in Design was recognizing Norman Doors. Ever since I took PSYC 370 (Intro to Human Factors), I have been recognizing bad design around me. It’s nice to have an assignment to analyze them so that I can share my thoughts and remember these design structures and patterns for the future, when I design my own prototypes and products. This activity opened me to more types of users and new considerations when designing. 

My favorite part of the Amsterdam experience was when we had to interview for the class. While I didn’t necessarily enjoy going up to strangers and interviewing them, my group went to a square and then a park and it was nice to walk around with other locals rather than in a touristy section. I also really enjoyed the trip to Gazelle and understanding their design process. 

I would advise them to take advantage of as many opportunities as you can! I was nervous to reach out to my UvA group to hang out outside of class, but I am so happy I did. If we didn’t hang out with them during our free time, my trip would have been very different as I learned a lot about the culture of the Netherlands and hidden (better) places to go to. I would also say that going out by yourself can be fun. While being with the group is comforting, branching out and having a meal by yourself and people watching can be a nice way to live in the moment.