Bonjour from Jenny (Geneviè(ve))!!

Group lunch:)

Bonjour! After a great two weeks in Amsterdam, I am so excited for my time in Paris. Riding the Eurostar into Paris was a breeze but figuring out how to get to our studios was not. Construction closed down some of the bus stops, so we had to drag our luggage a good amount across the cobblestone. But eventually, we made it, and our rooms are amazing (A significant upgrade from our hostels)!

Coming into Paris, I would like to know if I will get to converse with some locals here, as I did back in Amsterdam. I know people in Paris do speak English, but I interacted with more people who do not speak English than do. I enjoy attempting very poor French to communicate with the locals but it does limit conversation, as all I can really say is “Oui, oui, baguette.” Just kidding, but I will definitely be working on my French and trying to learn from the people who live here because I believe that’s the best part of studying abroad.

While in Paris, I hope to feel like I’m really challenging myself. This course is definitely not one I would usually take, but I hope I can experience a new field and learn something new to take back with me to Rice!

But outside of the course, I’m most excited for the FOOD here!!!!!!!! Just on the first day, I felt like I had one of the best meals of my life. I also felt good and not bloated after inhaling that meal (very not French-like of me, I know). We ate at Little Vietnam, which is close to Lucas, so I would definitely recommend you try it out (4.9 Stars on Google Reviews!!). I also love walkable cities and public transportation, so I’m definitely excited for that as well. ALSO (last one) the skincare products here from the pharmacies are so much cheaper!!!!!! ALSO (actual last one), the view outside my room is so nice to wake up to. I love cracking open the window and looking at all of the streets and apartments and dogs LOL.

To explore Paris, I’ll definitely be going to all the famous landmarks, overrated or not. I also want to try having a three-hour lunch one day and just people-watch outside. I think interacting with the people is also a great way to explore (even if French people are stereotyped to be rude, I think I’ve met quite a few very kind individuals here!).

My view!

Lastly, a happy memory I want to make in Paris would be eating all the good food with all the good people. My parents will also be coming to Paris for the first time, so I’m excited to explore more with them and see them experience Europe and all it has to offer!