I, Carly

I’m Carly Ngo, a rising junior at Rice interested in usability and the mitigation of human error, so I’m studying Psychology and minoring in Engineering Design. I used to be a pre-med (until I realized I don’t have chemistry with chemistry), but I still enjoy the healthcare industry and the processes of patient care. Therefore, I’m incredibly excited that this iSEED program investigates the intersection between the problem-solving mindset of engineering with healthcare. 

In addition to the minor, I’m a team lead in Design For America, which teaches the engineering design process through community-based projects. Outside of engineering, I like learning more about emotional intelligence and leadership through the DOERR Institute for New Leaders. In my free time, I enjoy hanging out with the Vietnamese Student Association on boba runs and learning fan dances.

The project I’m most proud of is a ENGI 210 piano mechanical model, where the keys would oscillate in a continuous wave. I was particularly proud of this design because 1) we were able to put an abstract idea into reality and 2) it took an incredible amount of effort to successfully make smooth movements. In the future, I want to work more with the laser cutter to make gift boxes for people that have moving components as well.

Throughout the remainder of the program, I hope to improve my observational skills in identifying needs, as observation and foresight are important in evaluating risks of human error. I also aim to practice engineering design so that I can be a more effective team lead when I return to my Design for America club. And of course, since I’m in Costa Rica, I hope to practice Spanish with locals, explore its amazing biodiversity, and discover what it means to adopt Pura Vida.