Blog 1 Emily in Paris Edition

I definitely felt left Amsterdam feeling like there was unfinished business I had with the city. It was such a charming city with energy, innovation, and art throughout it all. I was pretty sad leaving Amsterdam but I knew my journey abroad was still not over. Stepping off the train in Gare du Nord, I immediately knew the difference as every sign was in French. However, I knew there were new experiences, food, and culture waiting to be explored. 

Having spent time in Amsterdam, a city known for its artsy culture and historic canals, I wondered what kind of things I would be obsessed with in Paris.The first question that crossed my mind was whether I would be obsessed with the croissants here . Amsterdam’s flavorful fry obsession left a  lasting impression, and I wondered if Paris, renowned for its pastries and breads, would evoke the same savory goodness. I hope there are midnight croissant or baguette stores open for a late night snack.

As I am in Paris, I hope to feel a sense of independence and comfort in discomfort. What I mean by this is that I know that Paris is very known and influential to many companies. Paris feels very “it girl” in gen-z terms. Paris is like that classy, on top of it, cities to me. I hope this kind of inspiration will rub off on me and inspire me to find my inner fashion, proactive, and classy university student. Additionally, I do notice myself having much anxiety with a language barrier here. However, I hope to use this intimidation to push myself to assimilate, learn a few phrases and blend in. I believe that finding comfort in doing actions that would be normally uncomfortable to push yourself is a good exercise to practice now. Especially since I will be doing a similar thing in Italy after this trip. 

As I’ve mentioned in a previous blog post, my preferred method of exploring a new city is to do prior research and have my days planned out. I have some things to do in mind like traverse the charming neighborhoods of Le Marais and Montmartre. These places have similar road styles as Amsterdam with their narrow alleyways. I’ll be sure to surrender to the lure of local cafés, where I can savor a croissant while people-watching. And of course, I’ll indulge in the city’s renowned landmarks like the Louvre, Notre-Dame Cathedral, and the Champs-Élysées. I have not had a chance to make a full itinerary yet but these are a few I’ve started thinking about.

Beyond the course in Paris, I am thrilled to explore the city’s food scene and take many many pictures. Parisian cuisine is legendary, and I look forward to sampling delicate pastries, aromatic cheeses, and sipping on exquisite wines. I plan to immerse myself into a new city and act like a sponge absorbing all the smell, taste, sounds of a new city. I additionally hope to get a chance to plan a historical itinerary with museums and a trip to the catacombs. The other students in the program also have been talking about a wine class or croissant making class too which should be super fun.