Week 3 in Costa Rica!

We continued working on our NPWT project. We first had trouble with brainstorming new ideas that make the device different from the previous one from another team. However, we decided to focus on two main problems with the existing device: one being that it was too heavy and bulky, and the other being that the lymphatic fluid passes through the pump to get to the reservoir which is very unsanitary. To make the device small and fit all of the electric components compactly, we acquired a small pelican case at a gun store. The gun store was actually very safe; they unlocked the doors only for people who are approved to get in. We also purchased a micro-motor pump which worked very well for its small size and voltage, and other electronics like touch screen and speaker.

Outside of class, we toured around the area. One day we went on a coffee tour and were able to try some coffees. I also saw some cool plants and butterflies. That night we went to a Harry Potter themed restaurant and I had a butter beer and a burger called ‘Harry’. Even though I haven’t watched a single Harry Potter movie (after visiting this restaurant we watched an episode each night), I could tell that the interior design and food imitated the actual movie pretty well. 

on a coffee tour

Burger Harry and Butter Beer

The other day we went hiking to a mountain that was around 30 minutes away from San Jose. We hiked 5k which seems not that bad but since I wasn’t used to hiking it was very exhausting for me to walk up the hill. There were different photo spots along the way. The view up in the mountain was amazing and it was very worth it to spend the morning time before class like this rather than just sleeping in.