Introduction! (Mexico)

My name is Brian Messar, an upcoming sophomore from McMurtry College majoring in Civil & Environmental Engineering and minoring in Anthropology. I wish to become an urban planner, designing cities through a uniquely human-oriented perspective, one based through a global analysis of all our world’s beautiful cities. I am active within Rice Pride, an Owl Guide, and the Chief Game Host for Rice Escape, a club that builds an escape room each semester for the community to enjoy! I love swimming at the Rec Pool anytime the Houston weather allows and exploring the city any way I can! 

Through this study abroad experience, I wish to bear witness and then partake in real-life civil engineering applications in a country unlike anywhere I’ve been before, allowing me to form my skills as an engineer away from a classroom. I wish to connect with not only my fellow students and Rice faculty but the new world around me to learn how people interact with engineering projects in their daily lives, so I can better understand these interactions in my future! I wish to become the most human-oriented engineer I possibly can, and the best way to understand how systems work in different environments is to immerse myself in those environments!