First Week in Bologna! Salve Italia!

I can’t believe my first week in Italy has gone by so quickly! When I first landed, I immediately noticed how intricate the transportation system was. I easily traveled from the airport to where I was staying, just a few blocks from Bologna’s center, using the train. The city is also very walkable, so on the first night it was easy to find somewhere nearby to eat. My first meal was pizza, and it was delicious!

For the first day of class, we had a lecture, and then headed into the city center.  We explored one of the many squares around the city, called Piazza Maggiore, and visited a cathedral or basilica in the square.

Piazza Maggiore

Inside the church

Continuing on in the week, we visited an Industrial Heritage Museum that explored the development of industry in Italy over time and how Bologna was specifically a hub for industrialization. It was interesting to see how they automated the production of essential things such as gelato, tea, and bouillon cubes. We also took a train to the nearby city of Forlì to see the University there and their wind tunnel.

Machines in the museum

University of Forlì wind tunnel

Over the weekend, many of us students planned to go to Milan, and we were able to take the train there to see the famous Duomo di Milano. We also caught an AC Milan game that they won!

Duomo di Milano

AC Milan Stadium

Overall, this first week has been a great experience, and I look forward to making many more memories here!