Only One Week Left :(

I can’t believe this trip is almost over, but there have been a lot of great memories and experiences along the way! I did many things with the class and on my own time to explore Italy. One day, we visited Ducati, founded in Bologna, and toured the museum and factory.  It was very interesting to see how the company transformed into what it is today (it started as a radio company) and how its products developed throughout the years. There were so many cool motorcycles and seeing the factory gave me a more concrete idea of manufacturing.

The Scrambler Ducati

Another class trip was to Florence where we visited the famous Duomo. We took a tour of the historic building, and it was beautiful to observe.

Outside of the Duomo

Inside of the Duomo

We loved Florence so much that we went back on the weekend and took a cooking class! We learned how to make tagliatelle, ravioli, and tortellini –  a wonderful experience I can’t wait to use when I get back.

Before the class

Another great trip was to visit Arduino in Turin. The journey here included a 4-hour bus at 4 am, but once we finally arrived at the facilities, it was worth it! We got to see some of their offices and were given an in-depth demonstration by one of the employees on site for how they use the boards we all know and love. My favorite part was when we got to see one of the new products they are working on. Of course, no photos of that, but it was interesting to see the work process that they go through when introducing something new to the market. We even got to meet the CEO at the end of our visit, maybe there will be a collaboration with the OEDK in the future!

Arduino poster

Our final class trip was to visit Dallara, the Italian racecar manufacturer. Dallara is the sole manufacturer of racing cars for the IndyCar Series, Indy NXT, FIA Formula 2, FIA Formula 3, and Super Formula Championships. We learned about the academy that they offer to students that want to work in automotive manufacturing. We toured their factory and saw how they created the pieces for their cars and the design process that they go through. Finally, we went through a museum of sorts that showed all the cars they have produced, starting with the first one made by the founder up to their latest supercar that can be used on the road and the track. It was a great experience to learn about this company!

Me next to a racecar

Now with the final week in Bologna, we are diving into our final project, and I am grateful for all of the experiences on this trip!